A resistance group based in Palal municipality in the Sagaing region claims to have killed a total of 61 regime soldiers in two clashes on Sunday.
In a statement released later the same day, the People’s Revolutionary Army (PRA) said the victims were the result of a landmine attack and two shootings.
The fighting – which the group said had continued throughout the day – erupted on the Palal-Khin Aye road near the border between the Sagaing and Magway regions early Sunday morning.
“We used landmines, which led to a shootout. The place is quite far from any village. We chose it because they usually terrorize villages near where they were attacked, ”PRA spokesperson Japan Gyi told Myanmar Now.
The group also claimed that only one of its members was injured on Sunday evening.
The first clash began around 7 a.m. near the hills of Naga Ma, about 3 km west of Wan Be Chaing village in Palal, and resulted in the deaths of 33 junta soldiers, according to the PRA.
At around 11 a.m., fighting broke out in the hills of Nat Htaik (Pone Taung), about 18 km from the site of the first clash. 28 other soldiers were killed in the fight, the group said.
Myanmar Now was unable to confirm casualty figures provided by the PRA. The army, which has suffered significant losses in the region, has not disclosed any information about its recent offensives there.
The attacked military column is said to be made up of around 300 troops sent as reinforcements to the Yaw region in northern Magway.
The region, which is seen as key to the junta’s efforts to crush resistance to its regime in the mountainous and remote north of Myanmar, has come under intense pressure from the military during the war. last month.
According to a member of the Myaing People’s Defense Forces, targeting army troops entering the Magway region is now a priority for resistance groups operating in the region.
“We made preparations to prevent them from entering our territory,” he said, adding that the column attacked on Sunday would have had three armored trucks.
Meanwhile, around 1,800 civilians from the villages of Wan Be Chaing and Wun Pyin have been displaced by the latest clashes, according to local sources.
“The shooting has stopped, but I heard that they started shooting at the village,” a resident of Wun Pyin told Myanmar Now on Monday.
“We cannot confirm anything because we are all on the run,” he added.